Botox® Cosmetic is an FDA approved, medical grade injection which is used to reduce facial wrinkles caused by expression. This results in a naturally rested and relaxed look. Botox® Cosmetic will last for an average of 4 months. Since it is a temporary treatment, the results will eventually wear off and Botox® Cosmetic will need to be injected again. Injections at regular intervals of 4 months for several treatments can result in the effects lasting longer (up to 6+ months). Used properly, Botox® Cosmetic dramatically decreases:
- Frown lines.
- Forehead furrows.
- Crow’s feet.
- The treatment involves several very tiny injections into the muscles under the skin where wrinkles occur (like the crows feet at the corners of the eyes or the frown lines between the eyebrows) . The exact # of units used is decided after assessing the patient’s muscular structure and discussing the patient’s goals of treatment. Every patient is different and will require a different amount of product. There is little discomfort; it feels like tiny pinches. Anesthetic is not required and the treatment only takes approximately 15 minutes to perform. Once the Botox® is in full effect, it prevents the muscles from fully contracting. This helps to soften the wrinkling typically associated with negative expressions like: worry, anger, stress, fatigue etc. You will still be able to express yourself and smile naturally. The goal of treatment is NOT to completely immobilize the face and thus complete elimination of lines cannot be guaranteed.
- You may start to see the results a few days after the treatment, but full results can take up to 14 days to fully set in. Please wait until 2 weeks has passed before assessing results. Occasionally, slight swelling, and/or bruising may last for several days after the injections. Rarely, an adjacent muscle may be weakened for several weeks after the treatment. There is less than 1% chance of upper eyelid weakness, which means the top eyelid could droop 1-2mm, for a month or more. The droop is always temporary but can be improved with an eye drop called Iopidine. Please call the office should this occur-we can help!
- If you are diligent and strictly adhere to the recommended injection frequency schedule for several treatments, you increase the potential of your results lasting longer. This treatment approach will reduce your overall treatment costs in the future. It is important to take note when you begin to regain facial movement in injected areas.
- Dysport has come to CANADA. An alternative to Botox, Dysport helps resolve lines that develop from expressions of unhappiness or concentration.
What is Botox® Cosmetic?
Botox® Cosmetic is a treatment for facial wrinkles. It is a purified protein produced by bacteria.Is it safe?
Botox® Cosmetic has been used for a variety of medical conditions for over 25 years. For wrinkles, Botox® Cosmetic has been used for 20 plus years. Side effects are local and may include:
- slight bruising.
- slight bruising.
- short-term headache.
- tenderness at injection site.
- temporary ptosis (muscle weakness).
- It is a treatment that can only be administered by a certified injector.
How does it work?
- Botox® Cosmetic first binds to pre-synaptic cholinergic nerve ending.
- Botox® Cosmetic is internalized via receptor mediated endocytosis.
- This produces functional denervation –**in other words it blocks the message from the nerve to the muscle which results in the muscle relaxing to create a smoother, relaxed look.
- How is it injected?.
- A very minute amount is injected with a tiny needle directly into the muscle.
- What happens to the Botox® Cosmetic after the injection?.
- It is absorbed into the muscle within about an hour or so. Like all other proteins, it is metabolized and excreted in about 6-8 hours .
- Isn’t this Botulism?
- Botulism is a fatal condition caused by the ingestion of the bacteria that produces the protein. With Botox® Cosmetic, you receive a minute amount of purified protein.
- Does it hurt? What is the treatment like?
- For most people, it feels like a small insect bite. You can leave and do normal activity immediately after, no anesthetic.
- How long does it last?
- Usually 3 to 4 months for the first injection. But, the effects may last longer after repeated injections.
- How much does it cost?
- The cost of treatment varies by patient, depending on the amount of Botox® Cosmetic required for the patient. It varies by gender and the type of wrinkles being treated. Men generally require more than women. This is something that you should talk to the physician about. We currently charge $10 per unit.
- I’m not sure that the injection worked?
- Botox® Cosmetic takes anywhere from 1 day to 14 days to see the full effect. Botox® Cosmetic treatments are very individual, you may require a little more/less product to achieve the results that you are looking for.
- How long does it take?
- Generally, after the initial consultation, the treatment only takes about 15 minutes. The benefit is that there is no downtime – you can go right back to work or whatever it was you were Does it freeze my face? Will I have expression?.
- No. Yes. It relaxes and smooths the unwanted wrinkles leaving you with all other aspects of facial expression. The treatment is tailored to the desired outcome you are looking for.
- If I only get injected once, will I look worse?
- Even after one injection, the area injected has the potential to be more relaxed than originally. It will not look worse.
- What if I get pregnant?
- Botox® Cosmetic is contra-indicated in pregnancy, however, there are no documented cases of adverse events in patients who have been injected with Botox® and later discovered they are pregnant.
- Where is it injected?
Most Common Areas:
- Frown lines between the eyebrows (glabella)
- Crows Feet
- Forehead wrinkles
- Bunny Lines (nose)
- Peri-oral (smokers lines)
- Mouth Frown
- Mentalis (Pucker Chin)
- Platysmal Bands
- Medically used for migraines and hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating)